miércoles, 3 de diciembre de 2014

Before I Go by Colleen Oakley




**ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review!**

This is one of the most heartbreaking stories I've read in my life; I mean it's about a woman with cancer, do I have to say more?

None of my family members nor friends have had cancer. The illness hasn't affected me personally so I had the impression this book wasn't going to affect me. I was wrong.

This book is about Daisy, Jack's 27-years-old wife, who's been cancer free for 3 years. In that "cancerversary" followup test she's diagnosed with cancer again. But this time is all over her body and the prognosis is, well, a few months more in this world.

Daisy is the one telling the story. She has this OCD kind of behavior, making lists of everything she needs to do to her house and one day she just comes with the idea of looking for a new wife to Jack.


Every chapter was more heartbreaking than the last one. You can see her grieving, getting angrier, pushing him away, trying to find her replacement, getting jelous when someone comes in the picture...and getting sicker and dying a bit more every page.

I cried when she cried, cried when she got angry because I understood her feelings even when I'm not in her position and never have been before. I cried when she was pushing Jack away and also cried when she was trying to pull him back.

And when my heart was so broke, it was broken in a million pieces, then the last chapter came; and it was Jack talking, not Daisy. Every single one of those million pieces broke into more little pieces. I cried like I haven't cried in years. I finished the book, crying, turned off my Kindle, crying, took a deep breath and started to cry harder than before. 
I know it was fiction but the truth is it happens. Stories like this happen to real people. 

No one should go through all that. Cancer shouldn't exist, not even as a fiction illness.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario