miércoles, 8 de abril de 2015

Review: The Witch of Painted Sorrows by M.J. Rose


**ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review**

I read this book like 3 weeks ago but I needed to digest it in order to write this review...

First of all, I asked the ARC for this book when I saw the cover. I mean, look at it, it's beautiful. Those blues and greens and then the Eiffeel Tower in the middle caught my eye.

That said, I don't think I'll be in the waiting line for the sequel. 

I was really excited to read this one. And after reading it I have mixed feelings. It's a great book and I enjoyed reading it but at the same time I didn't enjoy reading it. I know that doesn't make sense but that's how it is.

I visited Paris for the first time last december so when I read that this book was set in la Belle Époque de Paris I was happy, I mean, it's Paris in the end.

This book is about a woman that has traveled from New York to Paris running away from her husband after her father killed himself. Sandrine's grandmother -on the father side- is french, living in Paris. So Sandrine goes to her looking for a place to stay for a while and is also looking some family love. When Sandrine arrives to Paris she goes directly to the grandmother's house just to find out she's "making some changes to the house" and is staying nearby. 
Sandrine feels something's wrong with the called renovations  and since they're staying nearby she eventually goes to the house to see herself what's going on. She feels some attraction to that house, like she somehow belongs there or like if the house is happy that she's there. It turns out there's a spirit in that house that used to be a painter, in love with another painter, that created some beautiful, and well described, pieces of art.

I didn't like much Sandrine. I felt it was a complex yet plain character. Is complex because of what happens in the story but in the end she, herself is just plain. I think I didn't really get her.
I didn't like Julien also. Belle Époque and everything, but and engaged man having an affair with a woman, she knows he's engaged, she knows he won't break the compromise...why bother? I'm not a fan of infidelity, not in real life and not in fiction. So this character and relationship is a huge no for me.
The one character I did like was Sandrine's grandmother. BUT she starts as a character with promise for the story and then she just fades sometimes. 
I haven't decided yet if Sandrine's ancestor is one of my liking or not. Although, 3 weeks have passed since I read it and I think that means I don't like her either.

Set up and painting were beatiful described. The story is well narrated. It's just that I didn't feel a conection to the story.
Like I said, it's a great book, I do recommend it. I just didn't like it much.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario